Audio After The Jump
As the sports world tries to figure out how Vince Young blew $26 million in six years some troubling details are emerging about his spending habits that provide a clue.
As we previously reported, the former NFL player is broke and out of the NFL after failing to latch on to any of the three teams he played for. He was drafted third overall in 2006 by the Tennessee Titans. They gave the former University of Texas player a $26 million guaranteed contract. After a promising rookie year where he was named the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, things seemed to fall apart for Young on the field.
He never regained the magic he displayed at UT, or in his rookie year in the NFL. He was released by the Titans on July 28, 2011.
He signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles one day later on July 29, 2011. His primary on the Eagles was to serve as a backup for Michael Vick.
After one year with the Eagles he was cut and signed a free agent contract with the Buffalo Bills on May 11, 2012. His stay with the Bills didn't last long. They released him on August 27, 2012.
Vince is now out of the NFL and broke.
Tennessee sports radio station 104.5 The Zone fielded calls during the 3HL show from restaurant workers who watched the former player blow thousands of dollars on food and liquor for himself and teammates. He also bought out a Southwest Airline flight in 2007 for no apparent reason other than simply flying home to Houston.
Take a look at some of Vince's spending habits when he played for the Titans.
1. Vince Young's favorite restaurant to hang out in? T.G.I. Friday's on Nashville's West End Avenue.
It was here he once dropped $6k on a meal for he and other players.
At a T.G.I.Friday's.
Players would congregate at the bar
2. The bartenders, who got to know Vince thanks to his frequent visits at T.G.I. Friday's, told Vince they'd make him a "special" drink.
It was a melon drop.
Which VY had everytime he came to the restaurant.
3. During his rookie season VY spent $5k a week at the Cheesecake Factory.
He always picked up the tab for multiple teammates.
4. On a 2007 Southwest flight from Nashville to Houston, VY bought all of the seats except for about ten passengers who'd bought tickets before he could buy the entire plane.
The plane seated 130 passengers, meaning VY purchased 120 of the seats.
5. After each home football game, VY headed for the Morton's downtown where he would sit at the bar and order $600 shots of Louis XIII.
That can add up in a hurry.
Yesterday Vince took to Twitter to defend himself, claiming things were not as bad as the media was making them out to be.
Hopefully Vince can catch on with a new team