In an industry saturated with one hit wonders, its so rare to learn from a quality artist that has worked with the likes of Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa and more; only to remain humble in his undertakings. The future is looking as bright as the sun for Black Cobain
1. For those that don't know, let the people know who you are, where you're from and what you do.
My name Black Cobain an Artist from Virginia
2. Bar for bar you've been right up there with some of mainstream music's most influential acts. Where do you stand after working with some of the biggest acts to now being completely independent? Do you see the work as an uphill thing or an "I've been there before" Here's what I need to do to get there again?
I love being Independent for the fact that I'm in control of everything I do . I don't answer to anyway don't rely on anyone, and don't have to deal with 100 emotions from people tryna figure it out just like me . It's a beautiful uphill climb but I love it , and not in a rush to I guess get back in the light . I know the steps and the things to do if I wanna be in that light again... but as of now I love where I'm at living in California !
3. What does success after 7 records look like and do you have any regrets based on moves you've made?
Success is all what u make it , I'm not a person to compare my success to some one else's coming from where I come from I've already made it!!! Anything else is a plus for me in this life I have absolutely no regrets I'm blessed !
4. "BOA" The Board Administration's direct connection with Maybach Music circa 2011-2014 gave you and your label mates a recognizable presence in the DMV. What were those times like and what have you learned and currently applied in your business strategy from that era?
That experience was amazing loved every minute of it being around so many dope influential people . My learning experience came from watching people's mistakes and taking from those and applying it to things I shouldn't do with my time in the industry . Very important .
5.Did you see the Tiara Thomas betrayal as the beginning of the decline of the labels solidarity or did it come later down the line?
I don't think is was betrayal , I think it was more miscommunication and money being the issue there. TT is an artist and a damn good one, if anything she should've been protected better coming into such a cutthroat game and so many savages after he talent because they see a dollar sign , instead of seeing what she wants! The label was already going thru a lot of personal issues within and that was the decline of it not TT.
6. You share that Virginia nativity with Pusha T, Timbaland & Pharrel. We know you've made that connection with Pusha T but where do you stand when it comes to collaborating with other Virginia natives
Yeah Pusha has given me a lot of advice through the years , priceless info and I have his number and the lines are open and I'm just appreciative for that alone.. I think collabs are always about timing and just being in the right place at the right time. Definitely see me getting a Pusha feat before his time is up in this game, and plenty more talented VA artists.
One good Convo could change things I have no issues with him!
7. Where is your relationship with Wale? Seems like a lot of effort was put forth into the development of your career. Aside from other artists being on the label like Fat Trel, you seemed like the go to artist. Not much has been heard from you both as of late.
Yeah a lot of energy and effort on both sides, we really don't have one anymore. We don't talk much anymore but it's all good! One good Convo could change things I have no issues with him!
8. Everyone doesn't get the chance to grace records with Li Wayne or Wiz Khlaifa. Was that experience surreal for you when it first happened and where is your mind-frame as it pertains to these artists now?
Those were just opportunities that presented themselves at the time . We weren't in the studio together so it felt good at the time to be on a record with those guys but that's pretty much it. My surreal moments come from real life s*** u feel me ! Small things in life excite me.
9. What more can your fans expect from you before the year is up?
Just putting out more merch and maybe a couple of projects, and I have been in a few talks with some pretty influential people who have interest in me and what I'm doing with $uckafree which is my new Brand I'm pushing. So linking with some people like that could put me back in the door just like that.
10. One piece of advice for that up and coming artist that may be working with their friends, reaching their dreams in a cut throat business.
Just stay yourself thru it all ! And it's always business never personal ! Love Live Life